Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Birthing story from my own perspective.....


Sunday-October 2nd, 2011-- started normal. I got up and started preparing for church, waking everyone up so we could make it to our church 10th Anniversary service on time. It was cool, and cloudy out so instead of the "celebration" happening outside in park like it was suppose to, we had it inside at the church. I had to hurry to make sure our dish for the celebration was ready, so I ran downstairs and started cooking. Of course we were not on time for church but because of the celebration it wasn't starting on time. When we arrived everyone was wondering if I wasnt there because I was in "labor". But I waddled in and everyone greeted me with " oh, you are here... how are you feeling?" Seemed to be the question of the hour because it was getting so close to the due date. (Oct 3rd)

Church started about 11:00 and so did my contractions.. I sat down and had my first strong contraction. I thought it was the normal contractions that I had been having for the last two weeks. After having a few of them I looked at Maria and asked her to start timing them. By 12:00 the contractions were consistent and 7.5 minutes apart. I knew it was time, so when church ended, i looked at my friend and said I needed to go home because I was in labor. she said ok- she would walk me home. As I waited for her one of the members of the church came up and was talking to me and I was trying hard to disguise I was in pain and having contractions while we talked, till finally I couldnt anymore and said I am sorry but I need to go because I am in labor. By this point it is 12:30pm

I started the short journey home, that seemed longer because by this point my contractions were coming very quickly. We finally made it home, and I walk upstairs to wake my beloved who was sleeping because he was currently on a night shift at work. In the meantime, we called the midwife (at 12:40) she said ok, she would call back with an arrival time. She calls back and states she would not arrive till 2:30. At 1:15 I look at my friend Kim and tell her to call her back, because I was not going to make it to 2:30 that I had the urge to push now. So the midwife made changes to her plans and stated she would be there by 1:50. At this point for me I was in and out of awareness of what was happening around me. My mind was totally focus on pain management and holding her in while we waited for Sam to get ready and the midwife to arrive.

At some point my beloved came down, and helped me change out of the church clothes I was still in and i put on a nightgown. At the same time he started filling the doula tub or also known as the birthing tub with hot water. Maria asked me at some point if she should turn on some music, I said yes softly. So she turned on some praise and worship music very softly in the background. I remember through some of my contractions singing some of the songs. I cant remember what songs they were but I remember singing and saying Lord, and Jesus.

At one point my midwife arrived. By this point the tub was filled and I was fully ready to go, but i was also in and out of awareness of what was happening around me. I remember my midwife saying ok I am ready you can push whenever you want and me responding that I was scared. She then asked me if I wanted to get in the tub( all this time I was sitting on the edge of the couch) I said, yes, so they helped me stand and I felt like the bottom dropped out of me. I bet if I felt I would have felt her head.

When I sat in the hot water- it was like my whole body went.. oh my thank you.. I could feel my muscles relax even if it was temporary till the next contraction. Once in the water- I remember my midwife saying, try giving a test push and see what happens.
I believe I had maybe three contractions, on the third contraction, I started to push, and in one push with barely any force,I remember attempting to stop the push but as this point my body took over, and in one solid push Eliana was out. At the same time- my husband realized I was pushing and saw her head in the water, and reached down and brought Eliana out of the water. Her cord was wrapped around her neck and shoulder and she was little blue, but she cried a soft cry when she came out of the water, letting us all know she was fine and was breathing. She came out with her eyes wide open. They placed her in my arms and I sat there completely in shock how quickly it all went and the worry I had for the last 6 months left me as I looked down at this perfect angel. I remember praising Jesus and thanking Him for her health, and my "easy and fast" labor, and for allowing Sam to be there and the midwife to make it. Yet- I was still silent, because Sam asked me if I was ok. I remember saying yes and just staring at this wide eyed angel looking back at me. As long as she was against me in that warm water, she did not make a sound. She just looked around.

Once the umbilical cord stopped throbbing Maria was the one who cut the cord. She also was the first to hold the baby in her arms. She was beside herself with joy to hold, and see her little baby sister.

I am not sure how much time passed before we pushed for the placenta, but that was not difficult either. Once the placenta was out, my beloved and midwife helped me change my wet clothes, and get out of the tub which seemed very cold at this point.

I wasn't sitting and covered up for long before a knock came at the door and it was our Pastor David, Elder Jonathan, Elder Jayon, Bev, Vivian, and Ms. Trish. If there was anyone else I dont remember. They came in to take a peek at the baby( not sure if I mentioned this, we live a block away from our church) They did not stay long, before they left they prayed over our new arrival.

By 4pm I was cleaned up and showered, babe was clothed and asleep, and the midwives had everything cleaned up, and were ready to go.

My parents arrived around 5pm to see their new grandbaby for the first time. My dad was so excited. He had been waiting for the last few weeks for her arrival. He held her, and could not believe how small she was. After they left exhaustion set in along with hunger.

The first night was peaceful though I kept waking to check on her. She slept solid, the delivery was alot on her too.

We praise the Lord Jesus for this new life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments.. I love to hear from you and know you have blessed me with your thoughts


Blogger Templates