Skip to main content

Loving vs Self -Preservation

Reflecting on scriptures this morning

1 Thessalonians 4:

9About brotherly love: You don’t need me to write you because you yourselves are taught by God to love one another.10In fact, you are doing this toward all the brothers in the entire region of Macedonia. But we encourage you, brothers, to do so even more, 11to seek to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you,

 

We try to love others as the Word commands us often  something else comes into play  in the hearts and minds of  Believers.  Self -Preservation.

Christ tells us  in

John 15

12 This is My command: Love one another as I have loved you. 13 No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends.

Jesus showed us clearly how to love through his own willingness to lay down his life for us: His friends.

 

I ask, where does self -preservation play out in the walk of the Believer?

Does self-preservation have a place in our lives?

Let's put this in a different perspective: I have 7 children; the moment the Lord blessed me with life within me, my body, and my life was no longer my own. My "happiness" and preference no longer was important. What was important was bringing forth a healthy child, and raising them to be Godly, righteous, and God-fearing people.

When we become followers of Jesus Christ  transformation is to occur in our hearts. We are to transform ourselves. We are to think more like Him, for Him and less like me. Life for Christ means you are willing to lay  down your preferences, wants, and wishes  for His.

In loving each another, self-preservation is not a choice. We are  bless others through showing the Word of God and being the light in this dark world, even when it does not benefit us.

Parenting children is difficult. You raise them, feed them, change them, and love them for them to walk away from the  foundation of Truth you gave them. They become  the opposite, do the opposite and live the opposite.

Does it mean  to keep from feeling this heartache you never  become a mother? No- people do it every day, selflessly.

In our walk with Christ we are to think the same way, selflessly.  Feeling heartache or pain brings us closer to Christ for comfort and teaches us to love without conditions.

Don't you agree?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject.

 

Your Servant

Angie

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello all...

Hello my Siesta(Beth Moore's word for Sisters-Love it)  I have decided to start this online bible Blog Study that Preacher's Wife  wrote. It has already started my wheels turning in my mind and heart. The very first question:  Are there any circumstances or relationships in your life where you can see God has intentionally placed you? Yes- many! A few grow heavy in my heart! What do you perceive may be at stake if you do or do not speak out for Him? The person's soul will be lost for eternity. They will not walk with me into the gates of heaven and I will spend the rest of my eternal life knowning I did nothing, said nothing and do not do what God intended me to do. Can you Honestly describe yourself as a woman with a "yes" in her spirit? No I can not say I can- I would like to fool myself and those around you to say I am but when it comes down to it.. I have failed! If not what keeps you from this? FEAR- fear that the person will see my words as judgement and no...

Saying "I love you"...

Thinking about these words. These words that are to express our deepest emotions. These words that are to leave us vunerable and open, just do not seem to have the impact they use to. Many people use these words so fleeting. They use them as if to say "thank you", or "I thought about you today". For me "I love you" is not an easy thing to say. If I say I love you- I mean it from way down deep in my heart. They are not just words to be said but also words, that are to be put into action. Have you ever thought about that? When someone says "I love you", do they show through their actions that they love you?  or do they leave you going Huh, really? I have had those thoughts, wondering if the person who has declared their love really does love me because actions speak louder than words to me. I hear their words but then on the other hand see their actions and  they do not act like a person who even cares about my well being. Jesus never states in the...

The week...

we arrived here very late in Texas. I spent the next two days unpacking our things, as I packed Samuel's sisters things. It has been a hard week of lifting, moving, and unpacking all alone. The thoughts that ran through my head- was what am I doing here. Why would I come to this place to deal with life alone? To not have a family member be an every day part of my life. Who truly cared about the children and their lives. To come to a place where everyone is so self center- whose lives are focused only on themselves. NOt blessing, not caring, just having the family on holidays. In life I never imagined that I would be spending my life alone- not alone per say without my children, and husband. I mean alone with out my family.(brother and sister, mom, dad) I always thought that I was going to spend all my special and most important moments in life with all of them. I realize that is a fairy tale now. I realize that nothing in life is the way you "want" or "think" i...