Skip to main content

To Live is Christ

I decided this summer to start a new bible study- on my own. It is a Beth Moore study- I am in my second week and it is on the life of Paul. So far it has been very good- today’s time in the Word was on the life of Stephen. You know the very first martyr for Christ. Stephen's story in scripture is very short but very powerful. In the end, he was stoned to death and his last words were similar to the last words of Jesus. “Lord do not hold this sin against them.”

Forgiving someone is not easy but to ask forgiveness of the very people who are killing you. Do wonder wow- how could he? He could have easily asked for the Lord to vindicate him. To make those people who were stoning him suffer for the pain they were causing him. Instead, he asked for God’s mercy to be upon them and for him to not bring judgment down for what they were doing.

Why would Stephen do that? Why would he not ask to live? Why not beg God to stop this and intervene? Stephen realized his life was just a vapor that appears for a little time a vanishes away. He found no value in his life or his physical body. He desired to do the will of God with not only and open heart but arms spread wide. Knowing in the end that he would stand before the throne of Glory and see the face of Jesus. What better reward in life is death.

In our society, “ we tend to equate victory with survival”. The cancerous patient finds victory, after destroying their body, losing their hair, and barely surviving chemo or radiation, if they live, and have no cancer left. The destruction that occurs in the process doesn't matter as long in the end, they can still breath. “To overcome peril is synonymous with living through it.” This mentality we have is such a temporal one. From the eye’s of God when we die for the sake of Christ, as Stephen did, it is the most awesome calling of all. ( I am not saying if you have cancer you should not do chemo or radiation- it was an example of how tightly we hold on to our lives over dying. We would endure anything to live)

The truth is this life is fleeting and as Believers, we are to keep our eyes upon Jesus- holding tightly to Him, and not ourselves. In the end, Stephen’s body broke, and "he laid there covered in blood- Jesus’ blood.” His life glorified the living God all the way to the very end. Never trying to cling to life but being willing to surrender it all for Jesus.

What a testimony!

Are we willing to surrender it all for Jesus?

quotations from: To Live is Christ by Beth Moore

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello all...

Hello my Siesta(Beth Moore's word for Sisters-Love it)  I have decided to start this online bible Blog Study that Preacher's Wife  wrote. It has already started my wheels turning in my mind and heart. The very first question:  Are there any circumstances or relationships in your life where you can see God has intentionally placed you? Yes- many! A few grow heavy in my heart! What do you perceive may be at stake if you do or do not speak out for Him? The person's soul will be lost for eternity. They will not walk with me into the gates of heaven and I will spend the rest of my eternal life knowning I did nothing, said nothing and do not do what God intended me to do. Can you Honestly describe yourself as a woman with a "yes" in her spirit? No I can not say I can- I would like to fool myself and those around you to say I am but when it comes down to it.. I have failed! If not what keeps you from this? FEAR- fear that the person will see my words as judgement and no...

Saying "I love you"...

Thinking about these words. These words that are to express our deepest emotions. These words that are to leave us vunerable and open, just do not seem to have the impact they use to. Many people use these words so fleeting. They use them as if to say "thank you", or "I thought about you today". For me "I love you" is not an easy thing to say. If I say I love you- I mean it from way down deep in my heart. They are not just words to be said but also words, that are to be put into action. Have you ever thought about that? When someone says "I love you", do they show through their actions that they love you?  or do they leave you going Huh, really? I have had those thoughts, wondering if the person who has declared their love really does love me because actions speak louder than words to me. I hear their words but then on the other hand see their actions and  they do not act like a person who even cares about my well being. Jesus never states in the...

The week...

we arrived here very late in Texas. I spent the next two days unpacking our things, as I packed Samuel's sisters things. It has been a hard week of lifting, moving, and unpacking all alone. The thoughts that ran through my head- was what am I doing here. Why would I come to this place to deal with life alone? To not have a family member be an every day part of my life. Who truly cared about the children and their lives. To come to a place where everyone is so self center- whose lives are focused only on themselves. NOt blessing, not caring, just having the family on holidays. In life I never imagined that I would be spending my life alone- not alone per say without my children, and husband. I mean alone with out my family.(brother and sister, mom, dad) I always thought that I was going to spend all my special and most important moments in life with all of them. I realize that is a fairy tale now. I realize that nothing in life is the way you "want" or "think" i...