Skip to main content

Eliana's birthing thru the eyes of my unofficial doula/ and very special friend

Here is the story of Eliana's birth- written by a very special friend who stayed with me till my midwife arrived , while my beloved was busy getting things ready and through the birth....

Eliana's Birthing story
By Kim Folks

When I was training to be a Doula one of the things we were encouraged to do was to write a birth story for the families we worked with and for ourselves but especially for the babies :) How awesome would it be to be able to read our own birth stories. We try but often forget details and don't take time to record the memory. So I hope this can be something you can share with Eliana one day and enjoy :)
Well when I woke this morning I was excited for our church's 10th Anniversary/ picnic. The weather was unusually cold, 43 degrees, so the picnic was moved indoors which turned out to be very convienient since the Sellars live 1 block from church.
At 1030am the Sellars weren't there yet so I called thinking maybe they weren't there because Eliana was being born :) But after speaking to Paul and Maria I found out they were just late.
During service Angie's contractions were coming frequently and by the end of service it looked like 'Game Time'. So I encouraged her to head home and call the Midwife. I was very excited for the events soon to come. Little did I know how soon :)
We left the church a little after 12pm and contractions were coming every few steps seemingly. Sam was asleep at home since he's been working night shift but quickly prepared for Eliana's pending birth. Beulla was also very concerned getting by Angie's side at every possible moment.
After getting more comfortable and setting final preperations in motion Angie was getting very quiet and focused. She commented that the Midwife may not make it in time. We called her at 1:15pm and she expected to arrive at 1:50pm but said she could talk us through it on the phone if need be. There were moments it seemed that might be very possible.
In the mean time all the other kids were at the church picnic and had been back and forth to the house checking in and getting updates. Maria hooked up some music for us that was such a blessing. The praise and worship music was very soothing for us all and acted as nice distraction. Papa Sellars was busily preparing the tub, filling it with water for Eliana and caring for all Angie's needs as always.
The Midwife arrived at the expected time and Angie was totally in the zone. As Angie got into the tub as an onlooker I couldn't tell what would happen next. My friend who was normally never short of words was practically silent and totally focused. Obviously in active labor but so calm it was a little confusing.
The Midwife being very careful to give Angie her space spoke to Angie quietly at brief interludes between contractions. As Sam was busily doing anything he could to add comfort to the environment by filling the tub with warm water and heating the room, not knowing what I could do or how to help I approached Angie's side and just was there to be a presence.
Then it happened. The midwife said 'Sam put your hand here.' And as he reached into the bottom of the tub suddenly there she was in her Fathers hand making the most magnificent entrance in the calmest setting. Snug in Mamas arms it was incredible. Eliana was born :)
It didn't take long for siblings who were only a block away to come to see the wonderful blessing. Awe struck and excited everyone was surprised and happy. Sister Maria got the honor of cutting the cord. Noah didn't enjoy that part :) And the Sellars family grew by one at 2:28pm. Happy Birthday Eliana!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello all...

Hello my Siesta(Beth Moore's word for Sisters-Love it)  I have decided to start this online bible Blog Study that Preacher's Wife  wrote. It has already started my wheels turning in my mind and heart. The very first question:  Are there any circumstances or relationships in your life where you can see God has intentionally placed you? Yes- many! A few grow heavy in my heart! What do you perceive may be at stake if you do or do not speak out for Him? The person's soul will be lost for eternity. They will not walk with me into the gates of heaven and I will spend the rest of my eternal life knowning I did nothing, said nothing and do not do what God intended me to do. Can you Honestly describe yourself as a woman with a "yes" in her spirit? No I can not say I can- I would like to fool myself and those around you to say I am but when it comes down to it.. I have failed! If not what keeps you from this? FEAR- fear that the person will see my words as judgement and no...

Saying "I love you"...

Thinking about these words. These words that are to express our deepest emotions. These words that are to leave us vunerable and open, just do not seem to have the impact they use to. Many people use these words so fleeting. They use them as if to say "thank you", or "I thought about you today". For me "I love you" is not an easy thing to say. If I say I love you- I mean it from way down deep in my heart. They are not just words to be said but also words, that are to be put into action. Have you ever thought about that? When someone says "I love you", do they show through their actions that they love you?  or do they leave you going Huh, really? I have had those thoughts, wondering if the person who has declared their love really does love me because actions speak louder than words to me. I hear their words but then on the other hand see their actions and  they do not act like a person who even cares about my well being. Jesus never states in the...

The week...

we arrived here very late in Texas. I spent the next two days unpacking our things, as I packed Samuel's sisters things. It has been a hard week of lifting, moving, and unpacking all alone. The thoughts that ran through my head- was what am I doing here. Why would I come to this place to deal with life alone? To not have a family member be an every day part of my life. Who truly cared about the children and their lives. To come to a place where everyone is so self center- whose lives are focused only on themselves. NOt blessing, not caring, just having the family on holidays. In life I never imagined that I would be spending my life alone- not alone per say without my children, and husband. I mean alone with out my family.(brother and sister, mom, dad) I always thought that I was going to spend all my special and most important moments in life with all of them. I realize that is a fairy tale now. I realize that nothing in life is the way you "want" or "think" i...