Skip to main content

Planning date night - to do or not to do...

Lately I have been reading this book on wives... and God's purpose for us. I don't really want to share the title because I don't want to seem like I am bashing her or her book. I am not through it all yet. I am on chapter 4.

I have gleened some things from it. Like there is a statement she makes where she says marriages do not fail,people fail the marriage. Marriage was established by God so it can not fail for He is perfect! If you think about what she is saying It so true - people fail the covenant not God who established the covenant.

As she tries to give sound advice to wives and of course some of it is good stuff she starts to become a bit brutal in her advice. She makes such dogmatic statements that make me think wow lady isn't that a bit harsh to say. Example she was sharing about her husband liking to plan their once a week date nights. And that any woman who plans the date night is stupid for not allowing him to do it. Let me quote her words exactly: " I am not saying that a wife is rebellious for planning her evenings with her husband. I am saying she is pretty stupid. I want the pleasure of him planning things for me." (Ouch)

Well all I can say is so do I and I have been married for 24 years and in those 24 years my beloved has planned a handful of "date nights". He is a very focused man who provides well for his family and forgets that time alone is very important. He has never had the leisure to sit at a desk which would allow time to think research or even plan nights for the two of us. His job has demanded a lot from him physically so in return I take the time to show him how much it means to me by planning a night for him and I. To make such a dogmatic statement to young impressionable wives leaves them discouraged thinking that being a helpmeet such as I try to be to my beloved is wrong and now I am stupid. Honestly I don't see it as stupid. I see it as smart to help my husband In ways and areas he is either weak in or just unable to. ( again a definition of a helpmeet? What is it?)

Older women should be careful in how dogmatic we are in our statements unless it is in the scriptures. No where in scripture does it say that women should not plan date nights for their husband or that women should not help their husband.

There is more but I will leave that for another post!

Angie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello all...

Hello my Siesta(Beth Moore's word for Sisters-Love it)  I have decided to start this online bible Blog Study that Preacher's Wife  wrote. It has already started my wheels turning in my mind and heart. The very first question:  Are there any circumstances or relationships in your life where you can see God has intentionally placed you? Yes- many! A few grow heavy in my heart! What do you perceive may be at stake if you do or do not speak out for Him? The person's soul will be lost for eternity. They will not walk with me into the gates of heaven and I will spend the rest of my eternal life knowning I did nothing, said nothing and do not do what God intended me to do. Can you Honestly describe yourself as a woman with a "yes" in her spirit? No I can not say I can- I would like to fool myself and those around you to say I am but when it comes down to it.. I have failed! If not what keeps you from this? FEAR- fear that the person will see my words as judgement and no...

Saying "I love you"...

Thinking about these words. These words that are to express our deepest emotions. These words that are to leave us vunerable and open, just do not seem to have the impact they use to. Many people use these words so fleeting. They use them as if to say "thank you", or "I thought about you today". For me "I love you" is not an easy thing to say. If I say I love you- I mean it from way down deep in my heart. They are not just words to be said but also words, that are to be put into action. Have you ever thought about that? When someone says "I love you", do they show through their actions that they love you?  or do they leave you going Huh, really? I have had those thoughts, wondering if the person who has declared their love really does love me because actions speak louder than words to me. I hear their words but then on the other hand see their actions and  they do not act like a person who even cares about my well being. Jesus never states in the...

The week...

we arrived here very late in Texas. I spent the next two days unpacking our things, as I packed Samuel's sisters things. It has been a hard week of lifting, moving, and unpacking all alone. The thoughts that ran through my head- was what am I doing here. Why would I come to this place to deal with life alone? To not have a family member be an every day part of my life. Who truly cared about the children and their lives. To come to a place where everyone is so self center- whose lives are focused only on themselves. NOt blessing, not caring, just having the family on holidays. In life I never imagined that I would be spending my life alone- not alone per say without my children, and husband. I mean alone with out my family.(brother and sister, mom, dad) I always thought that I was going to spend all my special and most important moments in life with all of them. I realize that is a fairy tale now. I realize that nothing in life is the way you "want" or "think" i...