Skip to main content

Homeschooling Young Adults- Lord Help me....

In the article on the AHEAD blog - Why Older Kids Fight Your Teaching and How to Fix It?
I had struggles, my kids fighting my teaching. One never wanted to do his work. Another would do some of it and not the rest.

pulling-hair-out

 

I am unsure what state she lives in, but in our state a child not meeting the "requirements" and being free to learn what they want is NOT an option.
Teenagers are tough- I have graduated 5 children in homeschooling. I have 7 children and have been schooling for more than 10 years and I  have 18 or more to go with my two little ones. By the time I am done I will have schooled for almost 30 years.
As tired as we get of schooling, requirements, and work, young adults(teenagers) get the same way. Truth be told,life is work. Things we do to survive, to eat, have a roof over our heads is not an option. We have to do it. It is required or expected if you want to be have a home, and food. Learning is the same way- we are not given an option whether to school or not school. We are mandated by law to school our children and in some states they even go as far as to tell you what subjects are required. I have often told my older children there are some things in life you never get away from doing. Education is not an option it is a requirement, taxes though was not meant to be Law- it is- try not paying and see what happens, to survive you must work if you want to eat or have a home. It would nice if we could take things in life and make it be exactly what we would like it to be. I agree that you can encourage your children and give them opportunities to do the things they love but too many times we  to steer towards things  all things they are interested in or love and forget that not everything we do we love, and not everything we do are we interested in.

I am raising productive adults for the Kingdom of Christ Jesus and ones who will function in society that can think out of the box of the norm, but  adults who also realize that though they do not like some things in their job they are required to do them if they would like to keep the job. Not ones who create an environment that is all about all the things they love to do, it is unrealistic. There are ones are blessed who get to do exactly what they want to do in life, and love doing it. Praise Jesus for the that gift but I do not believe that is the norm.

Schooling children is difficult and truly I don't think there is a great formula on how to do it the right way, especially when they hit the young adult years. They are trying to find who they are, their hormones are in a rage, and schooling because more difficult. This is not the time to make it easier but to help them see through the tough times, they first press in to CHRIST JESUS, and endure to the end. The reward is sweeter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello all...

Hello my Siesta(Beth Moore's word for Sisters-Love it)  I have decided to start this online bible Blog Study that Preacher's Wife  wrote. It has already started my wheels turning in my mind and heart. The very first question:  Are there any circumstances or relationships in your life where you can see God has intentionally placed you? Yes- many! A few grow heavy in my heart! What do you perceive may be at stake if you do or do not speak out for Him? The person's soul will be lost for eternity. They will not walk with me into the gates of heaven and I will spend the rest of my eternal life knowning I did nothing, said nothing and do not do what God intended me to do. Can you Honestly describe yourself as a woman with a "yes" in her spirit? No I can not say I can- I would like to fool myself and those around you to say I am but when it comes down to it.. I have failed! If not what keeps you from this? FEAR- fear that the person will see my words as judgement and no...

Saying "I love you"...

Thinking about these words. These words that are to express our deepest emotions. These words that are to leave us vunerable and open, just do not seem to have the impact they use to. Many people use these words so fleeting. They use them as if to say "thank you", or "I thought about you today". For me "I love you" is not an easy thing to say. If I say I love you- I mean it from way down deep in my heart. They are not just words to be said but also words, that are to be put into action. Have you ever thought about that? When someone says "I love you", do they show through their actions that they love you?  or do they leave you going Huh, really? I have had those thoughts, wondering if the person who has declared their love really does love me because actions speak louder than words to me. I hear their words but then on the other hand see their actions and  they do not act like a person who even cares about my well being. Jesus never states in the...

The week...

we arrived here very late in Texas. I spent the next two days unpacking our things, as I packed Samuel's sisters things. It has been a hard week of lifting, moving, and unpacking all alone. The thoughts that ran through my head- was what am I doing here. Why would I come to this place to deal with life alone? To not have a family member be an every day part of my life. Who truly cared about the children and their lives. To come to a place where everyone is so self center- whose lives are focused only on themselves. NOt blessing, not caring, just having the family on holidays. In life I never imagined that I would be spending my life alone- not alone per say without my children, and husband. I mean alone with out my family.(brother and sister, mom, dad) I always thought that I was going to spend all my special and most important moments in life with all of them. I realize that is a fairy tale now. I realize that nothing in life is the way you "want" or "think" i...