Skip to main content

Leave the homeschooling to homeschoolers

One of the things about moving to PA that has been a struggle for me is the homeschooling laws. Not necessarily the actual process of schooling because I have not changed that but the laws here are very very scary and burdensome.

Moving from states where schooling my children was my choice, and I was responsible for everything. I did not have to submit anything ,which by the way, It did not keep me from keeping a record and filing everything in case a social worker showed up at my door someday with questions. I made sure everything was always in order.

The nightmare of PA law not only places unnecessary requirements on you but the administrations is in no way helpful in the process. As a matter of fact if you call and tell them you are a homeschooler in their school district and you would like to know where to bring your portfolios the people answering the phones have no idea what you are talking about or who you are to talk to.

This year was my second year in submitting a portfolio. I decided to physically take it in because the first year I submitted it via US mail, with a signature card along with my affidavit for the new school year and I never received the portfolios back. In regards to that, I then was advised by my evaluator to make copies of everything ,not to give them originals in case they did not return the portfolios again.

I spent the whole day, Monday June 30th, in a panic and a mad rush to try and get everything copied and in order to be able to meet the deadline by closing hours of the school district. When I knew I wasn't going to make it I was in total panic and was absolutely terrified not knowing what would happen because I missed their "deadline". I did not know what to do... Do I take them in late and explain or do I not take them at all?

July 1st, I woke, finalized and reviewed the portfolios and decided to take them in. When I finally was able to get to the school district to deliver the portfolios no one knew where I was to go and to whom they were to go to. They were so nonchalant about the process to which I was grateful but at the same time in the back of my mind I wondered what all that panic, mad rush, and total chaos was about the day before if it wasn't that big of deal. It seemed like they really didn't care and no one could explain or knew about the old portfolios.What I find very interesting is that in every way the administration is able to bend, manipulate or even change the law to benefit them,making it difficult and even overwhelming and burdensome to homeschoolers with evaluators, portfolios and deadlines yet NO ONE could tell me where I was to go, who was in charge or even where my old portfolios went. They say these laws are for our good, to keep us accountable, but I wonder who is keeping the failing school district ,who is unable to make their system work, accountable?

Homeschooling works and the statics show it. Too many times the government wants to fix something that is not broken. Most homeschoolers take what they do seriously, we understand what is at stake, the hearts and minds of our children. No one knows or loves my child more than I do, and no one will do more for my child than I will, so thank you PA but no thank you. Focus on what you need to focus on and that is reforming education by bringing Christ back into schools and leave the homeschooling to the home schoolers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello all...

Hello my Siesta(Beth Moore's word for Sisters-Love it)  I have decided to start this online bible Blog Study that Preacher's Wife  wrote. It has already started my wheels turning in my mind and heart. The very first question:  Are there any circumstances or relationships in your life where you can see God has intentionally placed you? Yes- many! A few grow heavy in my heart! What do you perceive may be at stake if you do or do not speak out for Him? The person's soul will be lost for eternity. They will not walk with me into the gates of heaven and I will spend the rest of my eternal life knowning I did nothing, said nothing and do not do what God intended me to do. Can you Honestly describe yourself as a woman with a "yes" in her spirit? No I can not say I can- I would like to fool myself and those around you to say I am but when it comes down to it.. I have failed! If not what keeps you from this? FEAR- fear that the person will see my words as judgement and no...

Saying "I love you"...

Thinking about these words. These words that are to express our deepest emotions. These words that are to leave us vunerable and open, just do not seem to have the impact they use to. Many people use these words so fleeting. They use them as if to say "thank you", or "I thought about you today". For me "I love you" is not an easy thing to say. If I say I love you- I mean it from way down deep in my heart. They are not just words to be said but also words, that are to be put into action. Have you ever thought about that? When someone says "I love you", do they show through their actions that they love you?  or do they leave you going Huh, really? I have had those thoughts, wondering if the person who has declared their love really does love me because actions speak louder than words to me. I hear their words but then on the other hand see their actions and  they do not act like a person who even cares about my well being. Jesus never states in the...

The week...

we arrived here very late in Texas. I spent the next two days unpacking our things, as I packed Samuel's sisters things. It has been a hard week of lifting, moving, and unpacking all alone. The thoughts that ran through my head- was what am I doing here. Why would I come to this place to deal with life alone? To not have a family member be an every day part of my life. Who truly cared about the children and their lives. To come to a place where everyone is so self center- whose lives are focused only on themselves. NOt blessing, not caring, just having the family on holidays. In life I never imagined that I would be spending my life alone- not alone per say without my children, and husband. I mean alone with out my family.(brother and sister, mom, dad) I always thought that I was going to spend all my special and most important moments in life with all of them. I realize that is a fairy tale now. I realize that nothing in life is the way you "want" or "think" i...